April 30, 2015

Feed Yourself


I am a Filipina Mestiza which is a term used in the Philippines to describe someone who is a mix of Filipino and another ancestry.  Growing up in a very small town, I wasn’t surrounded by the Philippine culture very much, but I did have enough exposure to know that food and feeding people is extremely important.  I couldn’t leave my aunt’s house without having at least three servings of food, and still being “encouraged” to eat more.  Now you might be asking yourself . . . . what exactly does this story have to do with yoga?  

Ideally when we step onto our mats, we’re feeding not only our body, but also our mind and our spirit.  Yoga is about the connection of these three things.  When we think about feeding ourselves though, it’s often all about the food (which don’t get me wrong, I love!), but we don’t tend to think about or focus as much on what we can do to feed our mind and our spirit. 

With my classes starting off and a new series of chakra workshops kicking in, I’ve decided the focus is going to be on just that – ways we can feed not only our bodies, but also our minds and spirits.  So, stay tuned in the upcoming weeks to discover ways we can feed ourselves and each of our specific chakras.  I like to think of the chakras as a series of Christmas lights, that when happy and healthy just want to, well . . . . Shine Out : ) 


For those of you new to the series or those of us who just need a reminder or refresher of what exactly a chakra is, see the previous post Chakra Khan which even includes a fun video explanation!

See you on our mats : )
Roxanne 

No comments:

Post a Comment