May 04, 2015

I AM

When doing chakra work, we often start with the root chakra.  The root chakra is very much about creating a strong foundation and having a solid base.  It is a lot easier to face our fears (which is the demon of the first chakra) when we feel supported, safe, and secure in who we are and what we are doing.

The root chakra largely focuses on our physical body and the things that contribute to our physical experience on this planet.  We can sometimes get a bit caught up in wanting to reach the higher chakras where we have the potential to have “mystical, psychic” experiences, that we glaze past the lower chakras in a rush to learn about how we can reach these heightened states of awareness.  I won’t lie when 
I say that this was me when I started along this path.  I wanted to develop my intuition by “opening up my third eye” (I didn’t even know back then what this really meant!)  The ironic thing is that I am slowly learning that for me, I access my intuition through my physical body.  My insights and flashes of inspiration come when I am moving or being present in the physical world.  I develop my intuition partly through my root chakra. 

Our root chakra connects us to our physical world, which is just as important as being connected to our spiritual world.  We have this physical body for a reason.  We came here to experience the physical for a reason.  So, while we are here, me might as well not only take care of our physical body and physical matters, but also enjoy ourselves while we do it.

So, the following are just a few (of many) ways we can feed our root chakra and bring enjoyment and a positive experience to our physical reality.


MIND
Each of the chakras has an associated short phrase.  The phrase associated with
the root chakra is I AM.  Let’s spend our week working with this phrase by creating an affirmation or mantra.  To do this, fill in the blank with a word that relates to you and let’s put our focus on the physical.  I AM __________ (healthy, strong, here, important, etc.)  Your phrase can be something that is already true or something that you are working towards.  The only rule is to ensure that your phrase is worded in the positive.  So, if you are currently sick and create the phrase “I am not sick”, change it to a positive statement such as “I am healthy.”

Mantras and affirmations are like declarations to yourself and the universe of who you know you are or who you know you can become.  Scientists such as Bruce Lipton and Gregg Braden show us how important and powerful our thoughts really are.  So, repeat your phrase, write it down, do whatever you can or want to do to remind yourself of this phrase throughout the week and notice any effects or changes no matter how small.  Every little thing makes a difference.


BODY
Some foods that can feed our root chakra include foods that are red (tomatoes, strawberries, cherries, etc.), root vegetables and protein (foods which ground us)  The following recipe from "Chakra Foods for Optimum Healthis one that I tweaked just a little bit to include beets (red and root vegetable).  Give it a try and let me know what you think.  

Ginger Garlic Stir Fry
 1 pound extra firm tofu cubed (or substitute chicken or other type of meat)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp ginger minced
2 garlic cloves minced
2 cups broccoli chopped
2 cups mushrooms sliced
1-2 beets diced
1 red bell pepper diced or cut into thin strips

Toss tofu with soy sauce and 1 Tbsp of sesame oil and set aside for 5-10 minutes.  In a wok or nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbsp of sesame oil over high heat.  Add beets and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.  Add ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.  Add marinated tofu and continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes.  Toss in broccoli, mushrooms, and bell pepper and cook for about 2 minutes more.  Take off heat, add salt and pepper to taste and then serve with rice, quinoa or your grain of choice.


SPIRIT
A good way to feed our spirit through the root chakra is by having a massage.  It involves the element of touch and feeling our physical form.  It also allows us to relax into our bodies and just enjoy our physical experience.  So, if you have been putting off treating yourself to a massage . . . . this is me telling you to do it now for root chakra week : )


Feel free to share your mantra, let me know if you enjoyed the recipe or suggestions for a massage therapist you highly recommend.  Have a fabulous week of getting grounded and feeling supported. 

See you on our mats,
Roxanne 

4 comments:

  1. Had no idea what I was getting into but I am excited to commit to the journey. My mantra this week is "I am healthy" and I am excited to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great mantra Jeanine! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to journeying with you : ) Let me know how the recipe turns out.

      Delete
    2. I didn't have any sesame oil, but it was delicious nonetheless! I really loved the taste of the beets in the stir fry!

      Delete
    3. Glad you gave it a try and liked it. I agree, the beets added to it. I didn't grow up eating beets, and have just "discovered" them in the last little while. Fun (though somewhat messy) to play around with : )

      Delete